

## Annual Planning Conversations with Maryana

24th April, 2022- UTC +0500

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:00:00] Become. That we don't become too inwardly looking. And so we issued a set of key trends and invited input from communities and additional insights that happened towards the end of January, early February. We then spent time reflecting on the strategic direction to guide the foundation's plan. We've had recent annual plans that have identified important high level goals in our medium term plan. We have decided that it's important to create a more direct link between our plan and the strategy of our movement and to provide this clarity as we look towards 2030. The annual plan this year really anchors itself in this strategic direction. This is about knowledge equity and ensuring that there's an equity framework for the foundations plan and also the concept of knowledge as a service and what this means for us in actual implementation. This strategic direction was set in 2017. It was then followed, as many of you know, by the movement strategy recommendations and much ongoing work that's happening around the world. I'll be interested to hear from some of you how the movement strategy principles are guiding your own priorities and your own plans. Finally, the Wikimedia Foundation's plan, as I've said in other forums, can often be presented in a way that feels like one way information sharing. This year, we'd like to try something different and really try to see if two-way planning is possible. This means asking affiliates, user groups, individual contributors what their plans are and what their priorities are so

that we can see if there are more collaborations, more synergies, more attempts to try things together.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:02:10] It's an experiment, so we'll see how we go. Last week we posted a draft of the foundation's plan on wiki and in multiple languages. We hope that this format will allow for more multilingual and substantive engagement in the ideas that are set forth. The last point I want to make is that the intent of the plan is not to list every single initiative underway now. Much of the current work at the foundation will continue. We have in some areas described specific challenges and proposed solutions. In other areas we've defined experiments and we've simply identified a starting point for some of our new ways of working. We've already started to see some engagement on Wiki and have followed that with a series of conversations and calls. This is our third call in that series to collect input and to also learn about the work of others. We're very grateful to those of you who have made time on a Sunday to join us, excited to hear what some of your inputs are. And before I close out, I want to say thank you to our interpreters. Live interpretation is quite difficult and can be very stressful. It's important to help our interpreters by speaking slowly so that everybody can contribute and follow the conversation. So thank you again and Belinda, I'll hand back to you.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:03:47] Thank you, Maryana, for that wonderful context. And I hope it really does shape the conversation then that engagements that we're going to be having here today with these awesome community members, I'll really see the 69 participants and growing as we move along. So before we actually get into the crux of our discussions, I would love to actually have an icebreaker, which will which will actually just allow us to share how we're feeling right now ahead of the conversations that we're about to have in order to get that icebreaker

going. I'll call upon Vivian, who will take us through exactly how we're going to do it. Vivian.

**Vivien:** [00:04:29] Thank you, Belinda. So hi everyone. Vivien from Movement Strategy and Governance. As you can see from the screen, we want to invite you to now take out your mobile and go to [www.menti.com](http://www.menti.com) and type the code on the screen. Or alternatively, you can also use the link. I will quickly share that in the chat. And we want to do this small exercise just to get an understanding of how everyone is feeling about this conversation and what do you expect. So it doesn't need to be long one to small, just short words, and that should be enough. We just want to get an idea how you're feeling about today's conversation. So Youngjin. If you could. Thank you.

**Speaker4:** [00:05:24]

**Vivien:** [00:05:29] They share the number. Can you share that? Can you share the number again? Yeah, absolutely. It's in the chat if you. Yes, exactly. The code is 87614571. And incidentally, you can also click the link. Well, wonderful. We see many interesting. Answers coming in. Okay. We will give everyone round another 30 seconds. Right. We see a lot of good answers. Thanks, everyone, for sharing these with us. Okay. Belinda, over to you.

**Speaker4:** [00:07:04]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:07:10] Thank you. I'm actually quite excited to see some of the words that have come up in this word cloud, as some of them include alignment, clarity, initiative, interests, consulted, and another one that I saw was unsure about the future. There's more that's coming up now.

Understanding, reciprocal expectations, connections. You guys can see all the different words that we all have put up here today in this word cloud. And I and I actually love the fact that there are some very different points of view, different perspectives. And I hope we can delve deeper into some of the words that have been brought up here, because I think there is indeed a lot of curiosity and a lot of meaningful interaction that we're expecting from here today. And I hope that we can flesh this out as we speak. In fact, today we want to actually start off by instead of having a very strict agenda where we are dictating exactly what happens, we want to actually open up the discussion already with you and speak about what we can share and learn from each other. So right now, I would love to open up the floor to anybody who would like to share. You can share how you started off, you know, as an editor or what actually would you closer to to Wikipedia for starters, and any story that you would like to share that would be relevant and would be able to share some goals and visions that you have in the work that you're doing. I'm going to open up the floor and ask people to either put their hands up to share with us, or if you don't feel comfortable speaking out loud, please do share your story in the chat. But right now we want you to start off this conversation with you, so I'll give you a chance to do just that.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:09:31] I might jump in, Belinda, to say that I can see we have a few affiliates who are on the call. One of the things that we have done previously is to ask those of you who are representing affiliates to share the priorities and plans of your affiliates if you're comfortable. Obviously, if people just have questions, we can take those as well, but really trying to understand plans and priorities of others as well. So we'll open it up for anything that people would like to. Engage on. Yep.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:10:13] Belinda There was a hand up.

**Speaker4:** [00:10:17] Okay.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:10:18] You may go ahead. I'm calling on.

**Speaker4:** [00:10:24] Gngarra, you can go ahead.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:10:26] You can go ahead.

**Speaker4:** [00:10:27] Thank you. I love that everyone trips up on my name.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:10:31] Please tell me your name so I'll never get it wrong again.

**Speaker4:** [00:10:34] It is Gngarra.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:10:36] Yeah. Oh. Thanks.

**Speaker4:** [00:10:38] Joining from Australia. So it's on the West Coast, something like 330 in the afternoon. I think I've joined in this call. I'm curious about the development of Commons and how far behind Commons had fallen. And a lot of you have heard me wave that flag around a fair bit in the last few months. So I'm just here to listen to see what's the bigger plans are and the bigger picture stuff. Yeah, our media files.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:11:12] So I'd love to first answer. And then I see that I've got colleagues from our product and tech team, so Margie or Aruna or others who may want to add on top of my answer, but can. And then I'm going to ask you a question back, because indeed, I think we have all understood that. If you take language versions of all of our projects, I

think the number is somewhere north of 750 projects. And part of the challenge is how to prioritize technical resources against 750 plus projects, not only from the foundation, because obviously there are technical resources available in volunteer communities and the like. We underwent an analysis starting in December last year to say, where are our current resources allocated across projects, language versions of Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource Dictionary and sort of the list went on. One of the things that emerged from that is I think a funny puzzle, which is resources are allocated, but accountability isn't always clear in terms off.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:12:23] Who's fixing what. What are the priorities. And so with respect to Commons, I think that I would define Commons as a starting point. So it's not the only thing that will be done, obviously, in the year ahead at the foundation, but trying, I think, to align more closely to the roadmaps and the priorities of the foundation's resources and those of the community. We're going to have to dedicated calls next week, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday with members of the community, the various communities that rely on commons, whether those are galleries, libraries, archives, museums, other editors. What I am sure is true is that there is probably not 100% consensus on what all of the priorities are by everybody. And I think that is some of the some of the work ahead. One of the things that I think this planning process has also helped me see and some of your communications have been part of that, is that our community tech team can't be the only interface for volunteers to understand what's the right way to have concerns heard or to raise their voice around technical issues. And so really trying to, in this case, clarify again what's kind of the working priority on Commons. How do we see if there's some shared roadmaps? I think alongside that we have to lift up some more of the work that's happening on Wikidata. We have to begin the same process

with wiki source and dictionary and the others, but I think that the challenge is there isn't enough resources.

**Speaker4:** [00:13:56]

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:13:59]

**Speaker4:** [00:14:00]

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:14:02] So I'll keep it very brief, which is to say the work of trying to align on priorities for me feels like the hardest and most important work so that technical resources can be allocated to those priorities. I'm going to ask Margeigh if you have anything else that you want to add or amplify, and if others want to do the same, and then we can open it up. Thank you. And talk slow, Margeigh.

**Margeigh:** [00:14:32] Thank you, Maryana. Yeah. I just want to reiterate that we have been hearing from many places for many years that Commons really needs more attention. And we have a study underway right now that is going to be looking at. All the different types of Commons users and trying to understand what, what or how their needs and pain points differ. So this is something we should be able to share probably by July. But I just want to let the folks here know that we always start our efforts on any of any of the user experience work that we do. We start with research that will allow allow us to have the most meaningful impact when we start the work of design. I see in the. Um, I see in the chat that J is asking why just Wikimedia Commons? And I just reiterate what Maryana said. We because of the limited size of our team, we really need to we need to start somewhere. And so Commons is an obvious good place to

start, but it's not. We realize that other projects also need attention and it just could be a matter of kind of working through them sequentially.

**Speaker4:** [00:16:16] And.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:16:19] Any follow up from you? Gngarra.

**Speaker4:** [00:16:27] Oops. Sorry about that. Thank you for the information. And yes, I agree. Commons is just a starting point. You found the Wikimania 2021 when we needed to use Commons and to get the videos and everything available to be viewed. Commons fell over. It couldn't handle the file sizes. It couldn't handle the conversions to where Ben and we were doing, taking something between 30 and 40 hours on our systems just to convert the files that have been recorded across to web and before we could even upload and then the upload limits would fall over or time out. Yeah, that's really why I got involved in all the issue with Commons, so I'm happy to see that that's growing. And yeah, those 750 projects that we talk about, Commons provides imagery media files to all of those. So if we're going to operate anywhere else, we first need to be able to improve the background resources. So Commons and Wikidata are key points as far as I see it.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:17:55] Just thank you for that. Before we move on, I see a comment in the chat about GLAM institutions and wanted to invite that person if they wanted to unmute, I think Belinda and make that point before we move on to any other topics.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:18:12] So, Aaryaa, would you like to. Would you like to go on live? Aaryaa Joshi.



**Vivien:** [00:18:29]

**Speaker4:** [00:18:35]

**Vivien:** [00:18:37] you. Thank you. Nameste, to all of you I am Dr. Aaryaa Joshi from India related with Marathi community as a researcher of cultural history. I always think that GLAM activity is really useful for teaching history, culture, anthropological studies to school or college students as a tool of knowledge creation. Because many times Museum just showed many things in the museums and students visit there with their teachers and do any kind of small project regarding that particular museum. But as Wikimedians, we should try to make some intellectual partnerships with the museum directors and teachers so we can try to bridging the gap between the museum directors as well as between teachers, so teachers can run various kind of projects regarding teaching history, and they can use this as a tool globally. And it will make more sense because in India, particularly history teaching is really a very boredom pattern because the textbooks are not sufficient to teach the early culture and history in very good manner. So for getting all over educational value to the students, we should try to encourage students as well as teachers to make a part of this kind of museums, galleries and libraries. And as being a Wikimedians, we all should try this. Thank you so much.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:20:23] Thanks Aaryaa, Maryana.

**Vivien:** [00:20:25] Thank you very.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:20:26] Much. Again, I see some comments in the chat as well. I don't know if there's any further comments on GLAM institutions. It is true that these partnerships are localized and look different,

but some common features and support, particularly also around Commons so that these institutions can upload images to be used. Would anybody else like to make comments regarding GLAM institutions before we move to other topics?

**Speaker4:** [00:21:02]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:21:05] you. Thank you. Susanna, are you wanting to comment directly on GLAM? If so, please go ahead.

**Vivien:** [00:21:13] Yes. Thank you. I'm Susanna from Finland. And we have organized a hackathon, a cultural heritage hackathon two times already. Well, an international one two times and a local one previously. It's called Hack for Open GLAM. And it has been organized in the context of the Creative Commons Global Summit, and the idea has been and will be to bring together different practitioners. Sorry, I'm speaking rather quickly. Different practitioners and Wikimedians are a very special group of people in that. Advocates, glam professionals, platform technologists. Developers, historians. Scholars in order for bridging between silos. Although all of those who are interested in cultural heritage and see the tools and skills and capabilities of different actors and use them together. So thank you for that. And I think this is something that I. Well, this is in our agenda. Thanks.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:22:29] Thank you, Susanna. Also see a link that's been shared by Satdeep on the Heritage Lab. Work along the similar lines, he says, in India for anyone who's interested. Maryana, would you like to comment directly on the GLAM?

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:22:45] I think we can go to Butch, but I do want to acknowledge Anton's note in the chat. And certainly I think, Anton, if we can

come to you after we finish with Butch to learn and talk more about Wikimedia Ukraine, which I'm sure everybody will be interested to learn more about. But I see Butcher's Hand is on.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:23:03] Thanks, Butch, for your patience. Please go.

**Butch:** [00:23:04] Ahead. Okay. Actually, just to connect the two topics, actually, glam collaboration is really great. And I also would like to highlight Gngarra comment that. Each individual or organization are doing some good collaboration projects outreach. However, there are stumbling blocks when dealing with in terms of using our products in particular. As a Gngarra have mentioned, we are collaborations that were able to obtain some public domain videos. However, when we are trying to upload them, we have two hindrances. One is the burden of conversion from MP four to MKV will be from the end user. So I would like to suggest that product and development tools will open their minds to have a talk with with different stakeholders on how to improve their product. Because unfortunately, most of the time when when we're having conversation every month, it's usually movement strategy, universal code of conduct, but we're not having conversations with, with product and development, how to improve our products. Another hindrance with our outreach events when we're dealing with institutions, even our educational institutions, and when we do when we're doing some registration of new users. So the of course normally professors or or just on ordinary we don't know what's going on the back but back end that there is a limitation on IP address limitation when when we're registering new accounts. So what I've heard on the last meeting is that in the technical perspective, however, on the perspective of, of outreach and also with product development, probably we could open our minds in dealing with our various stakeholders so that we have seamlessly

in less than being an inconvenience of coordination with our institutions. That is for me. Thank you.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:25:40] I just wanted to respond briefly. First, Butch, just to say thank you, I think, for raising such important issues. I agree with you that we have to make more of the movement wide conversations about our products and our technology. As I referenced earlier, I think some of those conversations have to focus on prioritized lists and shared agreement because we don't have the resources to do everything on every project at the same time. Commons represents a starting point. We'll probably get some things right. We might get some things wrong. We'll learn. And I'm hopeful that that will teach us how to be able to use similar methodology with other projects as well. I am constantly reminded that the foundation has a very central role to play with regard to product and technology, but is not the only player because we have, in the case of Wikidata, the leadership of Wikimedia Deutschland, we have affiliates, we have technical developers, we have volunteers who are also contributing. I think the question of how to point all of those resources in similar directions so that these things can move forward is right. But as I said earlier, I also think clarifying accountability and making sure people know where to go may also help us ensure that some issues can get resolved more quickly. So let's try. We're going to, as I said next week, for those of you interested, have two calls dedicated specifically to Wikimedia Commons on Tuesday and on Thursday. And I think that we'll we'll get started and see how we go. So just thank you for those of you contributing on that topic. Back to you, Belinda.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:27:40] Thank you so much. I wanted to first ask Anton if he would like to speak live because we noted his his we noted what he put in the chat. Anton. Would you like to speak live?

**Anton:** [00:27:57] Hey, everyone.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:27:58] Happy to see you.

**Speaker4:** [00:28:00] Yes.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:28:00] Thank you for joining us.

**Anton:** [00:28:02] Thank you so much for holding this conversation. I'm really happy to be here. Yes. So I'm an I'm an editor on Ukrainian Wikipedia and I also coordinate programs at Wikimedia, Ukraine. So as Wikimedia Ukraine, I think for the moment, we are heavily focused on supporting the Wikipedian community in Ukraine, supporting the people, especially those who have suffered from the impact of the Russian military invasion. But at the same time, we also continue our work in other directions. We have a multi direction strategic, we have a multi direction strategic plan and I've shared a link in the chat to our current direction. For those who might be interested, it explains our priorities in greater detail. And yes, so I just wanted to highlight that some of our biggest projects are content campaigns. Thanks to everyone. Thanks so much to everyone who participated in Ukraine's cultural diplomacy months. On Wikipedia, I am really excited by the results, by the by the fact that over 61 glitches have been over 60 editions in different languages of Wikipedia have been improved thanks to this challenge. And on my first, we are also watching a video of Earth. This is the international photo competition which is coordinated by Wikimedia, by the team supported by Wikimedia, Ukraine, but held by local organizers all across the world. And its aim is to enrich Wikimedia Commons with photos of natural heritage. And I invite everyone to join either as participant or even as an organizer of a work of a different if

you if your country doesn't have one. And I offer a link in the chat as well. Thank you so much.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:30:03] Incredible. Thanks for sharing that with us, Anton. Maryana. Would you like to comment?

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:30:07] No, exactly that. So I'm just first, thank you so much for being with us. I'm sure, again, everybody's interested to understand what's happening with the affiliate in Ukraine. And it's incredible to see that you've maintained a focus on additional content with all of the other difficulties underway. Thank you for sharing the link to your plan. And if anybody has further questions, we'll make sure to follow up. So just really grateful to have you with us today.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:30:40] Thanks, Anton. Thank you, everybody, for the questions that are coming up both on the Etherpad and in the chat. So just want to go through the Q A quickly and ask if Jayaprakash, would you like to go live with your question and please take the floor if you if you feel comfortable doing so. Okay. So, Jay, Jay's comment was, I feel that the Wikimedia Foundation should support us on the legal issues. We have many user groups in India, but we don't have any legal advisors or a team to help volunteers. And this is a big blocker for us to do activities on a large level without having a legal team. I don't think we can progress much in our region. Maryana Any other staff members would like to comment on that.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:31:39] We had a similar question asked last Thursday at the Community Affairs Committee and actually happy to also reference that call for further information. I think that there are two points to make. One is that there are real, both regulatory and legal limitations to what formal legal advice can be provided by the foundation in various

jurisdictions. That's not to hide behind legal legal. It's just the realities of what legal official guidance the foundation is permitted to provide in various countries and in various jurisdictions. My colleague Jan Eissfeldt provided a comprehensive answer, so I'll do my best to repeat it, but can point you to it as well. That there are quite a number of other ways to provide guidance in different jurisdictions, some of it through local legal support on more global or issues that are not specific to one country or to one community training and other support that can actually be provided across regions and across jurisdictions. So I'm happy to follow up separately, if that doesn't answer the question, I can point you to Jan's more comprehensive answer from last week. But those are the two points to make in response.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:33:07] Jay, you also welcome to follow up on the chat. Thanks for that, Maryana. Can we go first to Nitesh Gill and then we will come back to a question that came up on the Etherpad and then Amir. So Nitesh, can you please go on live flow is yours.

**Nitesh:** [00:33:25] Hi. Thank you. Hello everyone. I'm Nitesh. I'm from Punjabi Wikimedians User Group. I would like to talk about my user group activities, which we are doing or a few activities which we are going to do. First of all, I request Satdeep please translate my words in English. I would like to speak in Punjabi. So are you.

**Speaker4:** [00:33:54]

**Nitesh:** [00:33:58]

**Nitesh:** [00:36:28]

**Satdeep:** [00:38:59] Thank you so much to everyone who was directly translating everything on the chat. If you need any additional input on anything and I can I can share what it is that.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:39:18] But I know we have more hands and there's quite a lot going on in the chat, so we will try to. I can see Rachel has offered to speak Jay with you and Butch further about legal support. Thank you so much Satdeep for translating so that we can understand more about the work of the Punjabi user group. And I just wanted to say Nitesh thank you very much for those contributions. And we will, I think, try, if not on the call after the call, to ensure that any issues or links that are being requested can be provided. Back to you, Belinda.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:39:54] Thank you so much. I have one quick question that came up on the Etherpad and then I acknowledge you go that we will come to you next for your live question. So the question from the Etherpad is from Rafi from Bangladesh. Rafi, would you like to go live or should I just read out your question? You let me know because I would love for you to have a chance to go live if you're comfortable.

**Speaker4:** [00:40:22]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:40:25] Rafi from Bangladesh.

**Speaker4:** [00:40:28]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:40:36] Let me read out his question that he put in the etherpad. He says, We are facing challenges with receiving grants from South Asia, particularly from Bangladesh. Right now, most of the expenses are being funded by the volunteers privately or by the participating group or



organization. This is leading to inequity in resource distribution, which is again preventing the growth of the community in various aspects. The situation is like almost all of the Bangladeshi Wikimedians know that the transactions are tough or impossible, but they haven't tried any other transactions before. Has the foundation any particular plan to make the grant receiving process smoother and easier? Maryana And I know that Kassia is also here, if you would like.

**Vivien:** [00:41:34]

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:41:35] I mean, the short answer has to be yes. We must continue to identify ways to ensure that resources end up where they're most needed. It's quite true that there are difficulties and restrictions in various parts of the world, not only in Bangladesh, that have to be managed and understood. We are fortunate to have Kassia, who I recognize is still in Saturday. Some of us are in Sunday, but can see is there on Saturday that maybe can offer some more specific reflections if it's possible, because it's up to.

**Kassia:** [00:42:16] Yeah. Hi. Thank you all for you for that question. And thank you, Maryana. I know I see a number of the South Asia Regional Fund Committee members on the call here and Tanveer Hassan as well. One of the strategies that we try to do with the grant relaunch is to make sure that there is a group of people in the region who are focused specifically on South Asia and understanding the community what they need and also what are the barriers that they're facing. And so I would definitely say we have Tanveer Hassan, who's the program officer, and we also have the regional fund committee that has members from Bangladesh on it. And to really be able to talk to them and surface what are those barriers within that community and how we can address them, whether

that's the legal side or just. Also what we found is just awareness that this new program has launched and a lot of the changes that have been made have been made to make it easier for different communities to participate. And since this is all new, we're still really focusing on letting people know that that exists and how they can reach out in any language that they would like to apply to reach out to to the program officer in the region. Tanveer Hassan Or to anybody on the Regional Fund Committee as well. I would invite I don't know if Tanveer or anyone on the regional committee would like to also maybe at some.

**Shabab:** [00:44:07] Well, I can go. I hope I audible.

**Shabab:** [00:44:12] My name is Shabab

**Shabab:** [00:44:12] . I'm from Bangladesh and I'm currently serving as the president of Wikimedia, Bangladesh. This is a pressing issue for the last 10-11 years in Bangladesh. The question is, yes, we are still talking with the foundation and legal team is helping us. But the challenge is here in Bangladesh, there is a ton of bureaucracy. And with this kind of bureaucracy and there is you know, there is corruption. I'm just openly talking about it is there is corruption there Is there wanting some speedy speed money kind of thing, which is a bribe to push things forward, which we are morally not willing to do. So that's why these are the problems that we have. This is more of a local problem. That's a global problem. Foundation is still helping us. We talk with the legal team and we are hoping that it will resolve. But we talked with a legal company here, a company that is helping us with their legal advice. The legal consultant says even if we submit the paper, it will take at least two years to get through. So in the meantime, we are trying to find out a fiscal sponsor. So who has already has this kind of papers and we can work with them. But

pandemic actually hit. Did that process also go very much slower than we anticipated And about the fiscal sponsor, not everyone can be a fiscal sponsor foundation has to actually criteria is to actually eligible for a fiscal sponsor. So keeping that in mind, we are actively trying to find out a solution here. But again, the situation in Bangladesh is different because of the local restrictions and local situation. Progress is been very slow. Thank you.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:46:18] Thank you so much Shabab for that insight. And thanks Kassia as well for just giving us more context. If it's comfortable with all, we can, go forward to Wikimedia Korea to Gu who has been very patient with us. Please can you go live?

**Gu:** [00:46:37] Hi. We can hear.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:46:40] You can go ahead.

**Gu:** [00:46:41] Yes. I want to share our activities. And so our priority is to diverse contents and editors. And so we are collaborating with a disability organization. And so they're mainly consisted of autistic people. And so we are we are going to update articles about neurodiversity. And so I think it is a very good opportunity to diverse our contents on Korean Wikipedia. And so. And last year we, we, we updated updated articles regarding HIV. And so it was so successful. And so we are focusing on Diversity Content and so. Yeah.

**Gu:** [00:47:52] That's it.

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:47:58] Thank you very much. Yeah. Just again, the value of these calls is for us to learn what the various priorities are. And a

focus on neurodiversity is encouraging to hear. And we actually do have a number of other affiliates who have done similar work. So again, maybe offline, we can connect some of those dots as well. Thank you for sharing.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:48:26] Thank you Gu. And you're also welcome to share any links in the chat for us. I'd like to move to Suyash, cos I think you wanted to share with us some of the activities I think you mentioned in. Sorry, just checking comments, comments, photographers, YouTube plans. If you comfortable, please can you go on live? Suyash.

**Suyash:** [00:48:53] Yes, please. Can you hear me?

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:48:56] Yes, we can. Thank you. Can go ahead.

**Suyash:** [00:48:59] Yeah. Hello, everyone. My name is David and I am from India. I am. I am actually. I am contributing my duties as a member. Also, I am president and and at the same time, I am vice chair of performance photography photographic exemplars. So basically are user group is very young and we have recently elected our passport in the month of December last year. So in the month of January we had our first board meeting. Then we discussed about the various priorities and the requirements of our user. So one of the priorities is we find that our users need training. Basically, they need training about how to create good quality photographs or something related to how can they edit photographs so that it can be can be a value to the picture or featured picture. So we find that most of the users are. Mostly our users are the amateur photographer of the photograph. They love photography by their passion and they want to contribute on the commons. So right now what we are looking for the users to provide the training we are searching out amongst the community members who can provide that training to our users. So for

us, we are priorities like to train the users. And secondly, we have also discovered that many of our users, they don't have good support over the software. They are let's photo editing software, which are quite very high to base their thesis or their their subscription or licenses. So we are also in the process of on this question in our discussion that how we can support our users to get those software that is being as a volunteer community. How can we contact with such a big company like Adobe or any similar companies who are providing support in photo editing and. Try to arrange such kind of licenses to get the cheaper rate or maybe three producers. So these are our priorities. We are still looking for any support or any trainers who can come forward and get trained advisors. Thank you.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:51:53] Thanks for sharing, Maryana. Any others who'd like to comment on what is shared?

**Maryana Iskander:** [00:51:59] I know we're going to have further engagements with the Commons Photographers User Group next week, but there may be others on the call who have thoughts or other responses for us so we can pause and see.

**Satdeep:** [00:52:30] since no one else is, so I can just share a bit of my journey as a volunteer and as a Commons photographer, how the community really helped me predict better photographs. And that pretty much goes in line with what she's saying, but providing training. So when I was back in 20 1516, we got a camera when I was in my volunteer capacity, we got a camera from the foundation and started taking photographs and I was then nominating them for quality images. You have to slow down, by the way. Okay. So yeah, we got a camera from the foundation and then I was taking pictures, but I found them pretty okay. But they were. Not getting accepted as quality images or anything else. And

then I found a couple of users who actually came to my top page and left this four page comment explaining what is wrong. On the technical aspects, what I'm doing wrong when I'm taking those photos, what should be the aperture, the shutter speed? Just give me some examples of my photographs and what is wrong. Use the wrong lens at some point or the wrong settings. And that just really helped me. And just I would just like to point out that today I have five featured pictures, around over 200 quality images on Commons. Just wanted to share the story. Thanks.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:54:09] Thanks for sharing with us Satdeep And nice to hear about the progress. I wanted to just acknowledge that we had a comment from Amir earlier on. And Amir, I just don't know if you'd like to make the comment live or would you like me to read it out?

**Amir:** [00:54:28] Well, I can I can quickly just just say it out loud and add a few things personally. But basically, my name is Amir. I live in Jerusalem and I work for the WMF in the language team. And also here is my colleague Runa Bhattacharjee from the language team. So. We are very, very excited to hear about the activity in the Kashmir Wikipedia. The it was it. It's a response to a question from Kv, something I don't remember but but it's a question about the Kashmir Wikipedia. Now, I noticed in the last couple of years or so that the activity in the Kashmiri Wikipedia of Kashmir is a language spoken in north. West of India, if I recall correctly. And. The activities there in the last couple of years has really grown. I've just noticed this in the numbers and also in the questions that are coming from editors who write in this language, This is great. So what you are already doing, this is already good. If like you were asking relevant questions about the wrong configuration, about something like configuration, the technical configuration that is wrong for the Kashmir language, we were able to fix some of these things and now it's working better. We see that you are

editing more. We see that you are translating more. So what you are already doing, this is already great. I get like every few days I get questions, mostly from somebody, an editor whose name is Syed. He's asking really relevant questions and I try to fix whatever I can.

**Amir:** [00:56:20] I try to pass it on to other engineers to fix and so on. Now if there is something that is actually blocking you, something that you cannot do, so you cannot write in your language for any technical reason. Some feature is missing, some function is missing. You are not able to organize any kind of activity because you don't have the resources or you don't have the necessary skills. So please ask us and we will try to help as much as we can. This is this is a general thing that we can that we can say. I really loved what that person wrote in the question that some time ago I switched my activity. I shifted my activity to Kashmiri, which is my native language. This is the first most important step. If you are already doing this, this is great. This is the most important thing. Do more of this. Tell your friends about this. And the more you do this, the more you will run into problems. This this always happens in life. So when you run into this, please tell us about this and we will try to help. This is the general thing. And I really I want to tell to people who speak all the languages. Right. And all the languages actually take example from the Kashmiri Wikipedia, because what they do recently in the last couple of years, this is just great. So this is what I have. I'm very easy to find online. If you have any more questions, please do ask me.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:57:44] Absolutely encouraging feedback. Amir And I think this is part of the connection that some of us were hoping to have in this conversation alignment. So really great feedback. Thank you so.

**Amir:** [00:57:56] One final Comment. Thanks a lot to the people who are organizing this and huge thanks to the interpreters. I acknowledge your work. This is really important. Thank you. Enormous. Thanks.

**Speaker4:** [00:57:58]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [00:58:10] Agreed. Totally agreed. Honestly believe that there's so much effort that's taken into the work that the interpreters are doing. And thank you all for joining us. We're actually sitting at about 81 participants now, which is pretty exciting, the different voices we are hearing here today. A quick question from the ether from Viz M, who is based in India. Please make reading and editing from mobile more friendly as it is the only internet device used everyday by common people of developing countries. Are there any plans for more support for mobile? Reactionary wiki source and Wikivoyage will benefit a lot of people and they can contribute and participate from their smartphones. Thank you for that question. So would you like to add anything else or can we hear from Mariana and other colleagues?

**Amir:** [00:59:08] Very briefly, I will add for myself something very brief, but maybe some some other people will want to add. So. Our team in particular, the language team. We are currently very actively developing a new feature called the Section Translation. It's for translating Wikipedia articles and it's specifically for mobile. We already deployed this to some languages of India. I don't remember the whole list, but definitely to Bengali, maybe to a few others. And we plan to deploy this to all the languages eventually. It's a very active development, so the feature is changing all the time. You can I won't add much more. You can easily find more information about this online. We made several video presentations about this and there is there's a description page. Well done, please. Thank



you. No, that's actually it. And I know that there's a lot of other activity about improving mobile support, but it's better if Maryana, maybe other people respond about that.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:00:10] Maryana, I can go ahead to this WizM's question.

**Maryana Iskander:** [01:00:15] First. Thank you, Amir. We all express gratitude to the interpreters. They have the most difficult job on the call today, so we'll continue to try to speak slowly and pause for our interpreters. I would like to ask Aruna or Margi or Sandip or others who may have further responses on the question. I think we can all acknowledge and recognize the importance of mobile and agreed that in many parts of the world it is the only access point to the Internet and to the digital world for most people. Certainly that is true in Africa, where I am today, in South Asia and many other parts of the world. I don't know Runa and Margeigh and or others who may have further reflections beyond Amir's contribution.

**Runa:** [01:01:12] I can go. Unless. Margeigh. Do you have anything? Otherwise I start. Go ahead and start Runa. All right. Thank you. Thank you for that question. For those who don't know me, my name is Runa, based in Kolkata in India, and I work in the product department in the Wikimedia Foundation. So we definitely acknowledge the fact that the world is becoming more mobile first at this point of time. And one of the themes that I provide support inside the foundation is actively working on providing just that tools and experiences that would be focused on the mobile first users of the world. And if you are aware, since 2019, there have been a few projects that we provide that we worked on, particularly the iOS app, which is for feature phones that are available, particularly here in this part of the world, especially in India. We often know them as geo phones, which are

the old school Nokia phone type phones with buttons and all which was available. And it still is. And going forward from there, we would like to make the reading and contribution experiences to be a bit more aligned with what people do on mobile devices these days. So an upcoming project is called Wiki Stories and we are working very closely with Wikimedia Indonesia about this project where people would be able to provide small little contributions through pictures as well as short text taken from Wikipedia.

**Runa:** [01:03:01] It's on a very early stage of development. We have loads of designs, etc. There is a meta page where you can see a little bit of what it's going to look like, but what it's going to be in reality. On how people interact with it and how it's received and all the feedback that we need to make it better will be happening in a couple of months from now. So it is definitely an acknowledgment and a recognition that we have to continue to support any kinds of contributions and reading and other kinds of experiences on mobile and and many other themes inside the foundation are also focusing their attention to it. So I will maybe call on Sudeep a little bit because I know he is also very closely associated with source activities as well as my colleague Sam Wilson is from Australia. He's also on the call, if I recall correctly, who are pretty active on wiki source and provide a lot of support there. And there is probably some initiatives related to weekly source that may also touch upon the mobile space. So sorry for putting you on the spot, but I thought you may have something to contribute this.

**Speaker4:** [01:04:27]

**Sam:** [01:04:40] Hello? Yeah, look, I mean, my perspective as a wiki source and as a community tech software engineer is is one of slight frustration, maybe. Like, it's been it's been a, you know, many years of sort

of community members volunteering time to cobble together wiki source software and doing a pretty amazing job in a lot of ways. But there's a whole pile of technical debt that we've accrued over the over that time. And it it feels like a fairly tricky thing to to work our way through. I think there's been lots of Wikimania and hackathons and things where people have have had a sort of greenfield view of what would a what would the ideal transcription platform look like and. And I mean, that's inspiring and that's great. But it's the bridging between where we are now to to that sort of ideal view. I think there's often conversations around that get get caught up in, in the English speaking world. There's, there's a feeling of wiki source being a. Sort of like a competitor or a parallel to Project Gutenberg and not as successful. Not as not as widely known. You know, we've done a lot of work around exporting to epub and to PDF and stuff. And I think I think we've done a fair bit of good work with that, but we haven't really tackled, I don't know, this thing of like, well, we're still stuck in software that is that is probably, I don't know, ten years old and. And it's a good basis. But yeah, I'm not sure how we go from here to, to the sort of next generation of a really huge, reliable, easy to use transcription platform. But I think we need to do it like I think, you know, it's been said many times that Wikipedia is the encyclopaedia and when you walk into a library, how much shelf, shelf space does a does an encyclopaedia take? It's less than 1%. Wiki source is where all of that other stuff can live. So yeah.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:07:32] Thank you so much for that insight Sam. Satdeep, did you want to round up on that or you covered.

**Satdeep:** [01:07:38] [01:07:38] Yeah, I just shared some comments in the chat. [01:07:40]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:07:43] Thank you for that. Great. Thanks for sharing that, which we did. Butch, thank you so much for the patience. As you know, the conversations are lively, but thanks for the patience. Please go ahead with your question or comment.

**Butch:** [01:08:07] The languages. Actually, we have a lot of small wikis that do not have administrators right now, and we are concerned that we don't know what what direction will the small wikis will go because maybe the admin administrators have not been active lately and left and it's now left for fun. Probably I would suggest that there should be steps, there should be a step back and look into this, probably offer it to to maybe prolific Wikipedians because we we we need to improve the small weeklies in any way. And also with with regards to Amir, probably I strongly suggest as well that we could do away with putting the burden of having the technical know how with the volunteers in launching or new projects from incubator. Because for instance, if you have a a language, a language expert but it's really not technical person probably it's it's hard to engage if if we force people to know the the Wikimedia Mediawiki scripts and translate translation of all the interface languages we don't need to be purist on on each and every function on on the wiki wiki projects. If we can just default it with English, it will be best just to to put these small languages out of incubation incubator because I know that we also have small languages that are already present in incubator for over ten, 15 years already. So we're hoping that we could do some innovations for this. Thank you.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:10:25] Maryana. Any comments on that?

**Maryana Iskander:** [01:10:29] I think just to say thanks, Butch, for those comments and inputs. The question of how to support small wikis is on a lot

of people's minds, and I'm sure Amir is also grateful for your inputs. Thank you.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:10:45] So we have one question on the Etherpad notes. Would anybody from the Taiwan Wikimedians user group like to actually go live on their question?

**Speaker4:** [01:11:00]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:11:02]

**Speaker4:** [01:11:03]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:11:05] Yes, we.

**Kán:** [01:11:06] Can. Okay. Yes. Okay. Good day. This is come with you from Taiwan Wikimedians User Group. And today I would like to represent our user group and to participate in this meeting. And. We do. We did get funds and support from the foundation and that really helped us to work on our one Wikimedia's and what we are doing now is like a Taiwan overall document because Taiwan language now is more like a oral language. They are like speaking language, but they written word is not very developed. So we are now doing Taiwan document and we are later want to upload them on wiki source. Just like what Satdeep they share before? And. When we do our fireworks. We do find that we have some problems. And first of all. Most our members are by one speaker in our community. They don't really know English. So there could be some problems. They don't speak English, but they can also contribute with projects. But they cannot get information, for example, some information or some activities on Meta from Wikidata, and they cannot participate in, for example, today's

meeting. They cannot participate in this by themselves. So this could be a problem if they can know more about this. So what I want to say is that translation is important.

**Kán:** [01:13:10] If this make more by one friend, they can know more and later they would like to contribute more because they know it's not just like they added on wiki projects. They have a lot more more activities regarding wiki projects. They can know more about this and besides translation. One more thing that is important. That is also important is technical problems. What I mean is besides Wikipedia, because even we have translation. Something that's like a concept because, for example, Wikipedia is easy for people to know for for people of our community to know. It's like online books. You can read and get knowledge. It's easy, but for like Wikicommons or Wikidata, they would not understand what is Wikidata. So we really need like a kind of like facilitating and to introduce these kind of different wiki projects to our community. So what I want to share with you is like two things. One is translation and another maybe we can call it like a facilitating and this is like what we want to share with you. So thank you very much for today and very good to participate in and representing our Taiwan Wikimedians User Group. Thank you.

**Maryana Iskander:** [01:14:50] I think. Thank you for. Sharing and for highlighting what I think has been identified in the annual plan as a key priority. I was impressed when we did a survey to see how much language support the foundation already provides, but we know that we can do more. We've tried to ensure that the annual plan is available in multiple languages. It takes more effort to do it in every language needed, but really understanding the need to ensure that English isn't a barrier for participation across our project. So thank you very much for those comments.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:15:38] Thank you so much, Maryana. We are just cognisant of time and Hardi we wanted to take your question live. We haven't heard from you. Please go ahead, Hardi.

**Hardi:** [01:15:52] Thank you, Belinda. Well, it's a kind of an addition maybe from I'm Hardi from Indonesia. Wikimania Indonesia. And talking about Vicky source. Yeah. So far in Indonesia. Just focus on Wikipedia only. But last three years we tried to make wiki sources becoming our new stories or something like that or the playground because and the progress is quite increasing in in this project with the. This is our third year holding quality competitions. We do it annually, especially in Ramadan. This is Ramadan right now because they have more free time in proofreading the books. And there's something new this year. We are not only just having we source in Indonesian but also local languages like Balinese and also Japanese. So, you know, we focus on in Indonesia but also in our to other other local languages. So right now we have just finished the competitions. It's been a help for it's already finished now less yesterday, if I'm not mistaken. And then, yeah, so the competition makes them really want to contribute. And then I really hope that the improvement in this wiki source projects is really going to be good and going to attract more contribution from our sources in here in Indonesia. I hope that it's going to be happen soon and the problems that happens is are especially is about like we have this gap before, it's about the template. Maybe there's supposed to be a more user friendly templates for the sort of something like that. I think that's kind of input from me. Thank you very much. Back to.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:18:12] Hardi, thank you so much for sharing with us the work that you guys are doing. It sounds pretty exciting and seems that there's been a lot of progress, especially very recently with the contents.

We'd love to thank every each and every one of you for today, for joining, like we mentioned, on a Sunday. There might be somebody that's not unmute.

**Speaker4:** [01:18:36]

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:18:38] So thank you once again, everybody, for contributing for connecting with us today, for engaging on the most important topic today, which was annual the annual planning conversations. But it's been such a pleasure to hear from you about the work that you pursuing. There are so many links that have been shared and we will definitely put them all together so that it can be available for us to visit and find out more about the work you are all doing. I just want to thank you all as well for the crowd sourcing notes on iPad, for making yourselves available to add great comments and questions. They would love to take the conversation further because it's definitely not the end for us. Please do continue to be in touch with us either. Live on Meta on the email address that will pop into the chat shortly. And let's just keep going in terms of engaging together and listening and sharing. Maryana, can I just leave it with you to give us your last thoughts before we close up today?

**Maryana Iskander:** [01:19:43] Well, we're right at the end of time, so I'll keep it extremely brief. First, thank you to our interpreters for allowing this conversation to be shared and for real time interpretation so deep. Thank you very much for that as well. As Belinda said, this is not the end. In fact, I can see some follow ups that will take forward from this discussion. Invite those of you interested to join additional conversations last week and thank you. Those of you joining from Saturday night until Sunday night across time zones for today's discussion. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

**Belinda Mbambo:** [01:20:24] Thank you. See you next time.